web based resources

My personal opinion, which is that of an archivist, is that the web is an
invaluable tool for conducting research, but only as an initial step. I
would never print a transcript from an Internet site and quote it in a book
or article without first reading the original letter for myself and
confirming that the transcript was correct. Since anyone and everyone has a
website, their information is not regulated, so certainly cannot be taken as
fact. However, it is a fantastic way to create new leads and locate the
sources of new information. It may be the archivist in me, but I don't trust
anything not on paper (and even then only after confirmation of
authenticity). Besides, if there's no bibliography (and even sometimes when
there is), why should I trust the research of a stranger anyway?

I know that this is off the subject a bit, but I've had this conversation
with others who take anything on-line as fact. But then again, these are the
same people who say that if it's on TV it's true!

Neil

Neil Dahlstrom
Technical Services Archivist
Deere & Company Archives