Re: web based resources

As a librarian, I have much concern for the accuracy and authoritativeness
of information. Anecdotal doesn't carry much weight with me. Also
repeatability of data/findings, especially in the scientific community. One
on-line database producer a few years ago tagged articles which had come
under scrutiny as having been fraudulent. No discipline is free of fraud.
Also, certain hardcopy publishing houses are considered more authoritative
than others. My dad somehow got a 'medical book' which had absolutely no
bibliography or anything. Very vague, anecdotal. After we discussed my
concerns about the value of this book (I also found the somewhat
odd/questionably vague web-site), he was convinced to return the book and
not accept any further mailings. He has one daughter who is a nurse, and
another a (medical by training) librarian, and it had not occurred to him to
consult with either of us.     Just my 2-cents' worth.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Ste C212