From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of Cynthia D. Earman
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 8:31 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: On-line auctions

Greetings from Doylestown, PA!
I know that this has likely been tossed about, but I am wondering if any
historical societies who are using on-line auctions for deaccessioned items
could contact me off list.

According to our institutional guidelines, any items we wish to
*sell*--other than to another cultural institution--must be done at a public
sale. Methinks an on-line auction would enable us to get better prices than
our local auction house.

I need to *present* this on-line auction idea to our Collections Committee
in October.  Any thoughts as to why this would or would not be a good idea
are welcome.

Many thanks!

Cynthia D. Earman
Director of Library Services