On-line auctions and deaccessioning

I think a couple of questions need to be asked and answered concerning this
recent thread.

1. What is the purpose of deaccessioning?
If the primary purpose is to remove items that are not within the collecting
scope of the organization then the organization should spend time educating
potential donors about the deaccessioning policy.

2. What procedure does the organization have in place for deaccessioning? Do
they first try to locate a more suitable collection, do they offer to return
the item to the donor or do they attempt to sell it the item intending to
use the funds received for the enhancement of the collection?

If the policy is the last statement should the items be sold at local
auction or via an online service? Personally I believe that the items should
be sold where the greatest amount can be achieved by ensuring the widest
possible audience. Personally I don't see the difference between selling
online or via a local auction house. Does the local auction house have a
higher cachet or is it perceived to have a higher cachet?

I regularly troll the online auctions for items that interest me as a
collector. Needless to say I am absolutely amazed by what turns up and the
prices that are realized.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Manager, Records Management Group
Woodside Summit Group Inc