Ambassador's papers

In advance of possibly being offered a former ambassador's papers, I'd
like to know what things might be considered government records
(presumably not appropriate for us) and what things might actually be
considered personal papers.  At this point I don't know what all
the person might have. Anybody have experience with these sorts of
collections?  Any useful guidelines?

Dave Tambo
Head of UCSB Special Collections