Question about University Archives

I know with all the tragedy unfolding in the United States this morning,
there might not be anyone around to help me with this question, but I'm
going to post it anyway.

I recently started at a small University Archives.  I'm by myself, but will
have a part-time assistant by the end of October.

We will be receiving the NASA/JSC archives through a memorandum of
understanding with NASA/UHCL/NARA.  The collection is scheduled to arrive
before the end of the month.

I have never worked in a University setting before and I have some
questions.  Namely about security.  The NASA collection is all public domain
and will be open to all researchers with no restrictions.  We really don't
have a secure vault area.  There is a room in the library, attached to my
reading room/work area with a deadbolt (normal university lock).  It seems
to me that pretty much *anybody* has a key both to the archives, my office
and the "vault".  (by the same token, my master key opens any room in the
library as well.)  (oh, it also has two windows with blinds - that look out
into a hallway in another part of the building.)

The former archivist who set up the University archives worked on a part
time basis off and on for ten years or so.  The acquisition of the NASA
holdings is recent and these rooms were constructed.  Because the other
archivist worked only on some Saturdays, the staff is used to entering and
exiting the archives without the archivist present.  They just come in, get
what they want, leave a note that they have it and leave.  (The item is
returned in my inbox.)

I just asked about getting a fire extinguisher in the archives and when I
received the reply, the person (from another department, not in the library)
said (basically) don't worry about being in the office, I have a key, I'll
let myself in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can limit access to the collection
(I don't care so much about the reading room.)   Most of the professional
staff and the custodial staff throughout the building have a "master" key to
enter where they need.

Thanks for any responses (remember to hit reply all to reply to the list).

I'm trying very hard to get *some* work done with everything going on around
us.  I know NASA is on "heightened alert" and many downtown businesses have
closed and schools are releasing kids and cancelling all after-school
activities.  I suspect it is the same in many other large cities today.

Shelly Kelly

Shelly Henley Kelly
University Archivist

Neumann Library