Re: NY News

Folks,

 I have not read the thread about NYC, but thought I would give you an
update, which may repeat some of what you have already seen on the list.
The Bank is a few blocks away from the WTC, so we are quite close to the
epicenter of this tragedy.  Up here on the 11th floor, we heard one
explosion, followed shortly by raining paper and debris; then a second
explosion (the 2nd plane).  Shortly after, the radio said there were more
planes in the air; right after that, I heard another sound, like an
airplane coming in.  I yelled at the folks on the floor to get out; we ran
down until we reached the vault area.  The last sound must have been one of
the towers collapsing.  Fortunately, everyone in the building is alright,
as are some folks off street who were taken in and doused with water, as
they were covered in heavy soot.  According to out corporate secretary, she
thought some sort of covering had been placed over our windows, since she
could see nothing from her office, just pitch black.  Several hours later,
we are now back up from the vaults, and the scene is simply surreal.  A
layer of soot, several inches thick, covers everything and the streets are
deserted.  Needless to say, I am in a bit of shock.  Things around here
will be shut down for several days; it will be weeks before there is any
return to "normalcy."  In effect, we have reverted to a walking city.
There are no buses or subways, and the television shows few cars in other
areas of the city, but heavy pedestrian traffic.  The markets are closed;
the best description I can give is, for those who saw the scenes in the
cheesy 1980s film "The Day After," well, that's we are seeing out our
windows now.

Once again, thankfully nobody is hurt here, but there are thousands who are
not so fortunate.

Joseph M. Komljenovich
Assistant Archivist
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
joseph.komljenovich@ny.frb.org

Any comments or statements made in this transmission reflect the views of
the sender and are not necessarily the views of the Federal Reserve Bank of
New York.