From: Russell Baker [mailto:russell.baker@MAIL.STATE.AR.US]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 9:28 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: documenting 9/11/01

Dear Colleagues:

        As archivists we walk a find line between caring for the records and
sources that eventually from which "history" will be written and creating
those "archives" ourselves. However, sometimes we must be proactive and get
out and collect the evidence of great events that change our lives and
create our own archives. Yesterday was such an event. How that "that day" is
over, we must ask ourselves "how are we going to document" that day and its
effects on our lives and the life of our country. We here are the Arkansas
State Archives received most newspapers published in our state in hard copy
so that we can microfilm them. After filming they are usually recycled.
However, I am asking my staff to place a note in each paper published during
this week as it comes in so that the original can be saved as a records of
how Arkansas reacted to this "act of war".
We then will have both a microfilmed copy and the hard copy.

Russell P. Baker, CA
Arkansas History Commission and State Archives
One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
501-682-6900
russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us <mailto:russell.baker@mail.state.ar.us>

Please Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged
and confidential, protected from disclosure,and/or intended only for the use
of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
Thank you.  ViaHealth