Friday Flags

 Since the Friday funnies and bumper stickers seem inappropriate this week.

I've done my share of gallows humour off-list, but frankly, even gallows
humour hurts.  Still, I will share my off-topic notes for today because we do
seem to have an unspoken tradition of doing _something_ for Friday.

Yesterday coming home from work I counted even more flags on my block than
there were the day before.  (Yes, I've been "counting" them all week.)  This
morning's local paper carried an article about the shortage of flags in the
Lynchburg (VA) area.  So that would seem to explain the fact that not quite
everyone had one flying.  But I made note of the newspaper's printing a full
sheet of the flag--suitable for display.  And then went off to work.

I worked only a half day today and came home at lunch.

I was greeted by a streetful of flags.  As I drove down the street every
single house had the newspaper's flag taped to the front door.  Except mine.
(My father's flag has been flying since Tuesday... but I may need to put the
newsprint flag on my door just for the sake of community unity or uniformity,
or whatever.)

Holly Hodges
Lynchburg, VA