Report from New York: Death of a Firehouse

Dear colleagues:

A friend who lives 2 miles to the northeast of the Trade Center gave me
permission to re-post this message I received from her this morning. I
can vouch for the fireman's fund she mentions at the end of the post. If
you are looking to make a donation to help the survivors of these brave
men and women, this would be a good way to do it.
- -
Stephen E. Novak
Head, Archives & Special Collections
A.C. Long Health Sciences Library
Columbia University

Dear Friends, Colleagues, and Acquaintances:

As some of you know, my family unit was lucky enough to be away from NYC
on Tuesday. I returned to my apartment at Lafayette Street tonight,
Thursday. To do so, I had to pass through a check point, show I.D.,
explain my purpose.  The only vehicles moving down here are emergency
vehicles, and among the immobilized vehicles are a few burned SUVs,
which apparently saw action further down the road.

I've spent a little time looking up my neighbors, and listening. They
have seen it all. They talk of hearing a plane rumbling much too closely
above their building, then running to their rooftops, and witnessing -
no feeling --what eludes us in TV and newsprint. I can't really describe
it. Life is so different around here. Everyone's still friendly, no one
smiles or laughs.

There's a fire house a few doors from my residence and it's always been
a big part of the neighborhood - we shop in the markets with these guys,
whose daily ritual of cooking their own dinners is always good for
banter. They're great dog lovers, and lately have been spoiling my dog
rotten with beef jerky treats (which she now expects on every walk).
These guys have been on my mind since the morning of 9/11. The firehouse
is just two miles from the World Trade Center, so they would be among
the first on the scene. My worst fears were confirmed tonight when I
learned that each and every of the regular truck and ladder guys are
missing except the one who always must stay at the house when the
company goes out.

To make donations to the Widows & Children's Fund send checks to:
                  Widows & Children's Fund C/O
               Uniformed Firefighter's Association
               204 East 23rd Street, NY, NY 10010
               or call the UFA office at 212-683-4832

Yahoo has also set up an online means for using credit cards to
contribute to the NY Firefighter's Memorial Fund.
http://store.yahoo.com/firedonations/

I hope you will make specific reference to the guys stationed at 251
Lafayette Street.

Terry

Theresa M. Collins
Associate Editor