Re: Question

--- Dean DeBolt <ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU> wrote:

> I would note our continuing difficulty for many years when people
> came in to look up materials on the Bicentennial of the United
> States
> and LC had them listed as "American Revolution Bicentennial ..."
> Nothing wrong with that, but I vote for the popular approach.

If LC subject headings were used only to describe events in US
federal government history, I would agree.  But since any
organization anywhere, including your home town, can celebrate a
bicentennial and issue publications that require descriptive
cataloging, it is logical and reasonable for LC to construct subject
headings that distinguish between the American bicentennial and the
200th anniversaries of other entities.

Same thing with the Civil War: there are and have been civil wars all
over the planet since the beginning.  Ours was not the first, only,
or last one.

All that is needed in these cases is a few good cross-references.

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net