Re: Double Depth Shelving Query

At 11:49 AM 9/21/01 -0400, <twildenberg@JWV.org> wrote:

Subject: Double Depth Schelving
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:29:37 -0400
From:  "Wildenberg, Tom" <twildenberg@JWV.org>
To:   "'rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu'" <rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu>

The institution that I just started working for has shelving that is two
boxes deep.  I've never seen this before and was wondering if anyone on
the list could provide guidelines on what, if any, principles of use apply
to this situation.

        Frank Cook had our main stacks built entirely with double deep
shelving some twenty years ago.  We considered this poor man's compact
shelving; it was worth the inconvenience to minimize the number of
aisles.  So we have about 10,000 cubic feet of records which are *all* on
double deep shelves.

        There is one strict rule: Odd numbered archives boxes always face
on the aisle, even numbered boxes are behind them.  If the last box in a
collection is odd-numbered we just lose the space behind it.  If the last
box is even-numbered it can go in front, but nothing can go behind it.

        This rule is relaxed for record center cartons, since we can only
fit five of them on a shelf (several of them sideways) because the shelf
uprights take up a vital few inches (grrrr!)--they just go in numerical
order and we sometimes have to hunt for the ones behind.  Frank is retired
now, but we'll always remember him, if only because of the shelving :-)

        In regard to Murphy's Law, I used to call us "The Largest
Unshelved Archives in Christendom" back when the double deep shelves hadn't
arrived in time but we had to move anyway.  For six months we had all our
archives boxes piled six deep, in increasingly teetering piles.  There was
*definitely* a trend for users to request from one of the bottom three boxes.

                                --Steve Masar
                        University of Wisconsin-Madison Archives