FW: Digital Scanning Query

Hello Everyone,
I've been asked to post this query to the
listserve. Please reply to Nellie at the address
indicated.

Thanks,
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-6720
rschmidt@lib.muohio.edu
__________________________

Dear Colleauges

I am currently registered for my MTech in Library
& Information Studies at the MLST in Durban.

My research is basically an investigation into the
digital scanning of photographs in archival
or special collections.

I would like to establish if there are other
institutions (Museums / Libraries / Archives /
University Libraries/ Technikons )  which are
currently providing or intending to provide a
digital imaging service (photographs only) to
users from both academic and non-academic
institutions.

My focus is on the service and delivery aspect of
digital scanning of photgraphs and  some of
my questions are:

Do you have a policy document to handle the
various aspects of providing a digital imaging
service.  My e-mail address is: Somers@nu.ac.za
Resolution
eg. at what resolution are the images supplied
for:
Research purposes (undergraduate assignment, etc.)
eg 300dpi
Educational publications (books, etc)
Commercial publications (magazines, etc)

Do you use an encryption to protect the use of the
image?

Mode of delivery (e-mail; SCAN public directory;
CD, stiffy)

How do you handle the issue of copyright of the
image.?

Do you charge for this service, If yes.  I would
appreciate the infor on the fee structure.
(Local and international)

Methods of payment (e-com; direct deposit, etc)
Does your policy state? " payment in advance
please"

Do you have standard request or contract  form and
is it available online?

Do you keep a record of the users to whom you have
supplied images (Manual? or database
record?)

Information advice and guidance from the list
members would be most welcomed and appreciated .

Thank you for your time and information.

Nellie Somers
somers@nu.ac.za