Treasures from the Ransom Center

I was just at the LBJ Library in Austin, Texas while invited to that
beautiful city for a Texas Freedom of Information Foundation meeting.  One
of the key discussion points was the effect that the terrorism will have on
access to information, which I believe also has huge implications for
various archives.

I had a chance to visit the LBJ Library on or near the UT Campus, and while
there saw the exhibits, including the LBJ Library exhibit Treasures from the
Ransom Center.

http://treasures.utexas.edu/

They had an incredible set of artifacts and archival material in context on
display, in one of the best presented exhibits I've seen in many years.  I
recommend that you go out of your way to see this while it is on display.

I mention it here because I believe an exhibit like this helps visitors who
don't know about archives to understand the immense value of archives by
showing some works by famous creative people in their original manuscript
forms.

I was also impressed by the beauty of the building and the LBJ Exhibits.
And of course one of the milestones of Texas history is the contentious
moving of the archives in the early 19th Century.

My one complaint was that there was nothing, not a blessed pamphlet or
booklet about the LBJ Library itself, although there's a lot of info on the
web site, and I note that they mention the November 26-27 Future of
Presidential Libraries Conference.

Michael Ravnitzky , mikerav@mindspring.com