Re: ARCHIVES Digest - 30 Sep 2001 to 1 Oct 2001 (#2001-274)

Title: ARCHIVES Digest - 30 Sep 2001 to 1 Oct 2001 (#2001-274)
Thomas Berry, Archivist | Historical Construction Equipment Association
wrote:
>This is probably a simpler matter than it appears to my tired brain, but
>here goes:  We were sent a number of digital images by e-mail. For purposes
>of documenting the donation, what would constitute the original of an image
>that is photographed with a digital camera, since there is no hard copy of a
>negative, and how would I account for copyright ownership?

The question of what is an original of a digital document is actually pretty interesting.  In the analog world, the rule is that any copy loses something due to the introduction of noise and the lost of quality.  In the digital world, one can make exact copies of the orignal that are, for all purposes, identical.

For a really interesting article on the subject, see

David M. Levy, "Where's Waldo? Reflections on Copies and Authenticity in a Digital Environment," in _Authenticity in a Digital Environment_ (Washington, D.C.: Council on Library and Information Resources, May 2000), p. 24-31.

The same publicatin contains several other really interesting articles, including one by Peter Hirtle.

Available for download from

Ownership of copyright is completely independent of physical form (which is particularly handy here).  Transfer of an original photograph -- even the negative -- does not affect copyright.  Unless copyright is specifically transferred in writing in the deed of gift (or purchase contract), copyright remains with the photographer.

-- Richard Pearce-Moses