Ignorance of technology (was FF)

Actually, Maria, the biggest problem is here in the US - our grasp of
history is amazingly poor.  Most adults in the US (much less the children)
have no idea beyond the basics of any part of our history; they may be
familiar with the attack on Pearl Harbor, for instance, but they will
probably look at you blankly when you ask them what brought about the Second
World War.  Don't even begin to ask the average American about the history
of Europe, Asia, or anywhere else.

That American kids can be so ignorant of quite recent technology is no
surprise to me; there's little push to introduce kids to history, and it
takes something like the WTC attacks (not to drag this generally light
discussion back to current events) to remind people that we don't live in a
vacuum.  Everything happening know has roots in the past, and the great
question "Why?" can often be addressed by saying "let me tell you a story
that happened before now, so you understand what might have caused this"

Sorry, didn't mean to lecture.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu