RAIN 10/09: Liner notes, SVG, Miss Porter's school

There are 18 stories in this posting.

Network World 10/08/01
Ants and privacy
http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2001/1008gibbs.html

by Mark Gibbs
It is amazing how something one values can be effectively eroded by thousands of tiny attacks. For example, the current barrage of ants at our house is wearing down my family's quality of life.
Lest you think I exaggerate, we (along with the rest of my town) seem to be experiencing an ant invasion that won't stop. What started as a trickle of insect scouts is now a full-scale invasion.

Boston Globe 10/08/01
Poll: Firms relaxed privacy rules
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/281/business/Poll_Firms_relaxed_privacy_rules+.shtml

by Stephanie Stoughton
In the days after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington, airlines, hotels, and other travel-related companies turned over customer and employee data to federal investigators in a bid to help track down the people responsible.

Reuters 10/02/01
Millionaire.com, president settle SEC case for $25,000
http://news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-7383077-0.html?tag=ats

WASHINGTON, Oct 2 (Reuters) - The president of Millionaire.com, publisher of a magazine for the wealthy, has agreed to pay a $25,000 fine to settle charges that his company issued false press releases and violated recordkeeping laws, the Securities and Exchange Commission said on Tuesday.

Dallas Morning News 10/08/01
Underground museum proposed to display Dallas artifacts
http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/stories/491154_museum_08met.A.html

by Roy Appleton
The drip and puddle of water is an uneasy sight amid all this treasure.
"It's coming from the air conditioner," said Alan Olson, walking toward the wet concrete floor. "At least there's nothing in there," he said of a cardboard box nearby.

Internet News 10/08/01
Email filtering: sorting the wheat from the chaff
http://www.sa.internet.com/InternetNews/newsarc/01/10/01.htm

Every day new threats to Corporate IT security are published on the Internet, accompanied by exhortations from security professionals to tighten defenses or suffer. And the main route for viruses and worms to burrow into corporate networks is a company's email system.

Kansas City Business Journal 10/08/01
E-sign laws enforce the legality of documents created in cyberspace
http://kansascity.bcentral.com/kansascity/stories/2001/10/08/focus10.html

by Patrick L. Kenney
Business-to-consumer and business-to-business e-commerce has become a fact of life for most companies. Those that at the beginning of the Internet phenomenon were reluctant to participate now include e-commerce as a regular part of their planning.

The Daily Review 10/08/01
IN memoriam: Archivists save historic pastiche of Net sites
http://www.dailyreview-ang.com/S-ASP-Bin/Ref/Index.asp?PUID=132&Indx=1136905

by Francine Brevetti
HERE'S ANOTHER way of saying necessity is the mother of invention: Tragedy kickstarts technology.
Ever since the horrific events of Sept. 11, individuals, academics, entrepreneurs and the government have been intent on archiving the Web sites that recorded the destruction of life and property that Tuesday.

The New Zealand Herald 10/02/01
'Swiss' data vault plan gathers support
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=219729&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general

by Michael Foreman
A plan to set up a world data security centre, or "a Swiss bank vault", for global data in New Zealand, is gathering support.
The idea, nicknamed Project Rock, is being promoted by information technology consultant Gary Connolly of The Digital Agenda and backed by Telecom-owned Advanced Solutions.

Canadian Press 10/07/01
Liner notes on albums reveal the evolution of rock hype from Elvis to Moby
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/story.asp?id={4C2AA533-86B4-4D05-9276-9FE1ADCEEEF6}

by Michael Hill
(AP) - Did you know that Bob Dylan is like Yeats? Or that Moby is troubled by fundamentalism? Or that Madonna shook the world? It's all true. At least it's true according to the liner notes on their albums.

New York Times 10/04/01
Online images that stay true to form on any screen
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/04/technology/circuits/04NEXT.html

by Jeffrey Selingo
Exploring the Web on a cellphone may seem like a good idea when you're constantly on the run, but with sites bursting with graphic images, it's certainly not very easy. You're likely to find yourself staring, say, at a part of a giant logo unless you can find special scaled-down versions of Web sites that many developers have created for wireless users.

Sacramento Business Journal 10/08/01
Companies erect road blocks to Internet joy rides
http://sacramento.bcentral.com/sacramento/stories/2001/10/08/focus4.html

by J. Nils Wright
Paul DeBernardi remembers the Internet connection lines at work slowing to a crawl when a new Web site called PointCast began offering streaming news. Many of his co-workers opened accounts and let the news rip, unaware of the effect they were having on the entire company's productivity.

The Register 10/08/01
'We're not killing off floppy drives' - Intel

by Tony Smith
Intel has denied it is trying to kill off the floppy disk drive, despite suggestions made in documents sent to PC makers and seen by The Register that it would like to see them phased out by the second half of next year.

The Spokesman-Review 10/07/01
Privacy vs. right to know
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/news-story.asp?date=100701&ID=s1035270&cat=section.spokane

by Virginia de Leon
Four days after a Spokane third-grader died from a peanut allergy during a field trip, outgoing Superintendent Gary Livingston pledged to learn how such a tragedy could happen.
"We are committed to providing a complete review of the entire situation," a teary-eyed Livingston said during a May 22 news conference.

The Union Leader 10/08/01
Amoskeag Great Flag is an elusive treasure
http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_show.html?article=5814

by John Clayton
Sure, now every Tom, Dick and Harry is out there looking for an American flag and many of them are coming to me seeking assistance - they're coming Chris Egan, I promise! - but that's OK because I am totally sympathetic.
I'm sympathetic because I've been looking for a flag for the past 10 years.

The Log Cabin 10/08/01
UCA fraternity to donate papers to school archives
http://www.thecabin.net/stories/100801/loc_1008010013.shtml

by Fred Petrucelli
Memorable documents dating back to the early days of the 20th century, memorabilia that reveal in poignant ways the history of the alumni association of Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity at the University of Central Arkansas, have been donated to UCA Archives.

CT Valley News 10/08/01
MPS students learn lessons from past
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=2464943&BRD=1648&PAG=461&dept_id=11784&rfi=6

by Jay Nowakowski
Today, students at the Miss Porter's School in Farmington are reaching back nearly 140 years into the school's history to help them find a way to cope with the suicide attacks that killed nearly 6,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

Network News 10/04/01
Spinning into Semantics
http://www.vnunet.com/Features/1125940

by Liesbeth Evers
The inventor of the World Wide Web, Tim Berners-Lee, is building an extended version of the web that aims to exchange computer data without intervention from human beings.

Wall Street Journal 10/08/01
One Newspaper's catastrophe recovery
http://interactive.wsj.com/articles/SB1002496010150336520.htm

by Robert Bartley
Over the last four weeks this newspaper has run account after account of September 11 and its aftermath. But I think it falls to me, in this necessarily subjective forum, to say something of our own story.
In the wake of chaos, the staff of The Wall Street Journal accomplished an incredible feat. That morning some of our top editors looked out their office windows and saw the World Trade Center aflame across the street. They were soon personally enveloped in the drama, and the offices were evacuated, a wreck littered with debris. Yet the next morning the paper came out, crammed with news of the overwhelming events, including first-hand accounts not available elsewhere. I suspect readers will be interested in how this was done.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va
pakurilecz@aol.com