Need Archives/Research Libraries to Suggest to a Donor

I have been working with a donor (hobbiest) who has several unrelated
collections; primarily books and periodicals.  He is not willing to part
with his collections at this point, but is getting on in years and would
like to designate final places for his various collections.  I told him I
would try to get some names together of archives/research libraries who
might be interested.  He lives in Wisconsin.  I should say that many of his
books appear to have some financial value - rare or scarce.  He has been
quite a multi-faceted collector.  That said, here is a brief description
(keep in mind that I focused more on the materials he has for us than the
out-of-scope collections).

        Railroad history (most likely with a Midwest emphasis) -- books and
periodicals.  He also had a file cabinet that he said was       related to
his railroad interests and I am not sure what is in them.  I suggested the
Minnesota Historical Society, but said that I   was unaware of other places
he might consider.

        Maritime Vessels - Great Lakes, probably with a Lake Michigan and
Lake Superior focus.  Not only does he have many books  and periodicals, but
he also has about 3 linear feet of notebooks where he has compiled
information on these vessels - they     include his notes, photographs, and
pages are color coded to reveal changes in ownership, current operations,
etc.

We talked a good deal about choosing an archives/research library that has
his interest(s) as a focus.  Finding out about proper environment, access to
the collections, professional staff, budget, and ability to handle his
collection.  I cautioned him against donating to a local historical society
or museum that really was unable to handle what he has, but might accept it
anyway.

If interested, please contact me privately and supply me with information
about your facility, etc.  I'll forward the informaton to him.

 Gayle Martinson
Archives Collection Manager
Wisconsin Veterans Museum
30 W. Mifflin Street