scrapbook photographs

Good day,

I have a question regarding removing old photographs from the common type of
black paper that was used in scrapbooks for decades. I know this is
something that flies in the face of current thinking, but we have a donor
who wants us to have the originals that pertain to our institution but wants
to retain the others in the scrapbook. There are no notations, etc.  I have
heard that ethyl alcohol, benzene and acetone can be used around the edges
of the back of the photograph to dissolve the adhesive, depending on what
kind it is. It seems to me that although they all evaporate quickly, they
may do damage to the backing of the photographs.  I have also heard of
humidification chambers loosening the adhesive to the point where the
photograph can be lifted off with a spatula or fishing line. I have heard
results using this technique are spotty at best. I realize I'm running the
risk of going down a path that has been trampled by the group, but a quick
look at the archives didn't turn up anything that has been recently posted.
My inclination is that the best policy is to photograph the ones we want and
to leave them all in the scrapbook, but my co-worker feels differently, so I
wanted to hear your opinions. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brett Arena, Archivist
St. Vincent Medical Center
Historical Conservancy