Re: Certification

Well I was going to let this thread go by but since PA wwighed in so will I.
I view the strength certification in several levels. Initially it helps in
the Job search. In these trying times who knows with certainty where they
will be next year. In addition, certification helps with retention of you
position. When presented correctly it can help management recognize your
value. Regardless of reality (does certification substantially alter you as
a professional, what you already know, or your value within the
orgaization?), not hardly. however it can bring validity to your operation
for those viewing from the outside. You have to weigh the relative value to
yourself and your operation.

If Archivists continue to under-value certification it will never reach the
recognition we want it to have. Increasingly archival decisions are
occurring at the point of creation. If Archivists are able to get to the
table, that is work with Records Managers and IT staff without
certification, then the relative importance is less. However, my experience
has been that a few letters after your name helps when decisions are being
made.

If certification aids in bringing Archivists further into the business
decision making process then value will exist. We have lost a generation of
records already without proactive involvement the permanent record of the
next reamins in jeapardy. Of course if something as insignificant as
certification (sarcasm) stands in the way of this we can always leave it to
the Records Managers to make these decisions. RM's are invited to these
meetings, they schedule the records and the result will be an increasingly
larger volume of records will go missing and never hit the Archives.

As to recertifying, I also recertify as a CA. Obviously my choice, one which
is not embraced by many of my contemporaries. Again, Individual needs
dictate your decisions.

As to the MLS argument (the flames are rising), I see no reason to, out of
hand, assume a person eith an MLS and a couple of Archives oriented courses
is more qualified that a person in the profession. I have have known many
fine Archivists that have followed both paths and find that when push comes
to shove I move to the latter rather than the former. I have also seen may
great collections handed over to a person simply due to their MLS
credentials. I would hold that a CA in that circumstance would at least add
a level of credibility to the decision.

I would be happy to discuss this further.

Chris Flynn CA CRM (the proper order for credentials PA)
Records Officer
University of Idaho
cflynn@uidaho.edu
208/885-4408