Re: Researchers in Hiding?

Let's face it. As far as attendance is concerned, we are an 'extra' in this
field. We've 'circled the wagons' here & made a concerted effort to get
visitors to come here. We haven't seen too much of a drop in relation to the
Sept. 11 events, we've actually seen a bit of a drop earlier when the stock
market started doing weird things. While this means more to do for all
departments here & with less funding, we all have stepped up to the
challenge and although I think we'll feel the pinch of pocketbooks like
other historical sites will, I believe we'll make it through to the better
times down the road. There's ups & downs. We had arrangements with the local
school system that the 4th graders come every year for a tour/educational
program. Due to budget cuts in the school system, they had to cancel for
this year. Our education & grants departments are scrambling to find
replacement funding. On the other hand, we had record attendance this past
weekend for our annual craft show, "The Wonderful World of Ohio Mart."

The connection of all this - How will historical agencies such as archives &
historic homes need to adapt to keep attracting visitors?

Bridgette - hoping this photo workshop goes well tonite!

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH  44303
ph: 330-315-3232   fax: 330-836-2680