Disaster plan/Emergency evacuation

All:
   As I'm sure many institutions are, we are in the process to tightening
and updating our disaster/emergency evacuation plan.  One question keeps
cropping up, what to do with archival materials and manuscripts being used
in the reading room at the time of evacuation.  Yes, a life IS more precious
than a 1830s letter book, but the fundamental question remains.

  Some have suggested leaving the materials where they are (our MSS room is
not a separate room from the rest of the library, and it does not have a
door) or should we load things on the nearby book lift (dumbwaiter) for
protection?  I'm sure this has come up at other agencies/institutions.  I
would like to get a sense of the policies currently in place or currently
under review.  You may reply off list at vbrooks@lva.lib.va.us or on list if
there is some interest.

Thanks,
Vince