Re: Historical Archives Collection Development Policy

Carolyn -

I don't think that there is such a thing as a "perfect example" of a
collection development policy.  Every institution must tailor its policy to
suit its specific needs.  Depending on the type of "historical archives
collection" that you have, you will need to alter any sample form to
accomodate it.

With that said, I have a collection development policy online meant for a
VERY general local archives collection (too general really, but serving the
purpose for which it was intended at the time)  You can find the policy at
http://www.mannon.org/archives/free.html.  It is listed under "archives
sample forms and tools"

Also, I suggest that you look at NY State archives web site.  They have
some very useful tools for archives planning.
http://www.archives.nysed.gov/pubs/publist.htm
Finally, see  Dearstyne, Bruce.  Managing Historical Records Programs: A
Guide for Historical Agencies.  CA: AltaMira Press, 2000.  This is a
fantastic source for develping an historical records program and policies
of all kinds.

I hope this is helpful.

Melissa Mannon, MSLS
Archivist
Archives and Information Consulting Services
603-661-7611
http://www.mannon.org/archives

Encouraging collaboration between Archives, Historical Societies, Museums,
Libraries, and Record Centers