Re: Disaster plan/Emergency evacuation

Being trained both as an Archivist and an Emergency Medical Technician i saw this as a pretty cut and dry issue.  As EMT's we are taught that our first and greatest priority is our own personal safety, even at the expense of another life we are not supposed to endanger ourself.

If i am being asked to leave a facility because there is a life threatening situation, thats what i would do leave.  If the facility survives the incident then the books, papers, etc will be on the tables where they were left.  If the facility doesnt survive the incident then the time it took to put the materials in the dumbwaiter or on a book cart would have been all for not and could possibly have an impact on whether or not i survived the incident.

Obviously the type of incident would dictate.  But, we are at war folks, like it or not.  Such times do not allow us to make decisions about how much time we think we have to evacuate a building.  If asked to leave.  Do so quickly and orderly.  If the building survives so will the books etc, if not no dumbwaiter or bookcart will have made much of a difference.

Rob Dishon
Archivist/EMT-D