Re: Certification Discussion

Let me turn up the blender . . .

It is becoming ever clearer to me that the only people possible of being
turned on by a CA are other archivists.  So is the flurry surrounding
certification really to impress the "outside world" that we're worth
something, or are we really just impressing other archivists?

Frankly, a CA wouldn't impress my management because they think archivists
and librarians are the same thing--unless you call a librarian an archivist.
They say, "Nice, you passed your test, but it's not an MLS."  (When I put
more stock into an advanced history degree for an archivist than an MLS--but
that's just ME.  I know I'll make enemies here, but an MLS is not rocket
science, man.  I went for a semester, got sucked into a intellectual void
and ran screaming in the other direction.)

Who are we trying to convince?  I don't think the rest of the world gives a
rat's arse.  We seem to be the only ones wrapped up in the glory of
certification.  But, again, what am I getting when I get certified?   I have
the advanced degree (history), I have the experience (not to say you ever
stop growing--I don't mean to say that at all). What, I need the CA to tell
all of you that I'm a "real" archivist?

I'm still not convinced of its worth.

Susan

---
Susan Hamson
Archivist

Othmer Library of Chemical History
Chemical Heritage Foundation
315 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA  19106-2702
susanh@chemheritage.org <mailto:susanh@chemheritage.org>
Voice: 215-925-2222
Fax: 215-925-6195

The views expressed here are those of the individual author only and not
necessarily those of the Chemical Heritage Foundation.