Preservation negatives

Thanks to those who responded.  Here's a summary of the comments.

Two others had experienced the same or similar changes in photo lab
proceedures recently.  And a few other were not at all surprised that labs
are switching from traditional to digital processing as a matter of
routine.  Most people commented that it looks like the wave of the future --
 one which the commercial world is driving and, therefore, will become the
standard.  Comments from the archival perspective and from professionals
who practice photography as an art form are more convinced as to the
superiority of, and the need to continue, film-based exposure, printing,
and preservation of images.  Most of us in the archival field seem to
recognize that "film is for preservation, digital is for access."

One person commented that if I had a contract with the lab (I don't) they
could be found in default if they don't continue to proved film-based
options.  Perhaps negotiating a contrat to that effect is one way to go,
however, I can forsee the labs using excessive fee scales as a way to
negate this.

Several prople suggested finding another lab, my particular problem being
that this is the top lab (Potobition, formerly Gamma Photo Labs) in Chicago
and the only one I've been willing to trust with our historic images.  As
many museums and archives in the Chicago area use this lab, we may be able
to exert some group pressure, or perhaps come up with an alternative source
that would satisfy our requirements and be profitable for the photographer
or lab we would engage.