Re: RAIN Comment

> Perhaps it was just the author's writing, but there was something about
them
> calling this the Secy of State's "directive" to the State Archives to
> promote their Black History (in & of itself a fine idea) I found a bit
> presumptuous.  Later in the article he said the Secy had "proposed" some
of
> these ideas, in which case that's perfectly reasonable.
>
> If, however, the Secy decided that this would happen, it smacks again of
> another one of those "Hey, let's digitize everything" statements from some
> dope that doesn't know what he's talking about.  I don't like the idea of
> political appointee, probably ignorant of the work the archivists are
doing
> there, unconcerned about the budgetary issues raised by such a huge
project
> offering the archivists and their time for a pet project.

I agree with your comments regarding the "digitization craze." It looks like
a disturbing trend in public history to ignore proven methods of description
and preservation for "flash in the pan" ideas of public outreach.
Unfortunately, public funded archival institutions are being asked to ignore
proven mission statements to satisfy a public official's need to get his or
her name in the press. As noted in your excellent statement, monies for
boxes and folders are being swallowed up to cover the rising costs of
hardware needs for digitization. Sadly, this trend seems to grow larger
every day.

Regards,
Bill
"There are no bad regiments, there are only bad officers."
                       Field Marshall Lord Slim
William H. (Bill) Brown, C.A.
Governors' Records Archivist (Archivist II)
North Carolina State Archives
4615 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4615
919-733-3540 (T)