Re: dogs at work (slightly OT)

Not strictly archives, but...

Following Friday funnies can we have Saturday snarls, for examples of
workplace idiocy such as the case below?  Is "No" not in that
mother's vocabulary?

It reminded me of my favorite library gripe, namely parents who do
their children's homework assignments.  It is one thing to accompany
grade school kids to the library and encourage them talk to the
librarians, help them with the online catalog, help them find books,
etc.

But high school kids ought to be able to do library research
independently.  Two weeks ago, I had a mom & teenage daughter at my
desk.  The daughter's assignment (as reported by the mother, not the
daughter) was to find a basic outline map of our county, identify the
major waterways, and draw them on the map.  The mom asked for the
map, asked various other questions, made the photocopies, and started
drawing. The daughter passively watched.

Today, a mother came in to get books for her high school aged son for
his assignment on the Miranda decision.

I can't help but wonder if these well-meaning parents are still
cutting their children's meals into bite-sized pieces.

--- Gilbertsville Free Library <librarian@STNY.RR.COM> wrote:
> RE: dogs at work [was Re: service animals and archives]Boy is this
> timely and we do not believe it.
>
> Three children, accompanied by their mother, just  [10:25 a.m.,
> Sat.]
> came into the library carrying a clear plastic "soccer ball" shaped
> con-
> tainer with a large mouse in it.   We discovered it when one of the
>
> children took the creature out of the ball and was playing with it
> - the
> creature, not the ball.
>
> We had to suggest that they take the pet out as the only animals we
> allow are Guide Dogs.  The mother said, "I told him that it might
> not be
> allowed."
>
> YIKES.
>
> Leigh
>

> Leigh C. Eckmair
> The Local History Collection
> THE GILBERTSVILLE FREE LIBRARY
> e-mail:librarian@stny.rr.com
> http://www.gilbertsville.com/library.htm

=====
"My heart is moved by all I cannot save:
So much has been destroyed
I have to cast my lot with those
who, age after age, perversely, with no extraordinary
power, reconstitute the world."  -Adrienne Rich
   Cynthia Van Ness, bettybarcode@yahoo.com
   http://cynthia.is-online.net