Re: An open letter to my employer

While I agree with the spirit of Tom's letter, my thirty years of
experience in archives have provided me with many, many
similar situations that Tom faces and has faced.   Archivists
are often in positions where they are one-person shops or
in operations of more than one staff, but the others are not
archivists or have archival training.

The archives list is a wonderful source of collegial problem
solving, idea matrix, and even therapy tool.   I have always
enjoyed Tom's postings, keeping the company and situation
confidential, because they allow me to remember similar
situations that I've faced and consider whether I handled them
in the best manner.

I would hope that if Tom's boss is monitoring this that he realizes
what a dedicated employee he has, one that is truly interested in
learning how to handle difficult situations, deal with frustration (my
own is the incredible backlog here), and one who makes use of
his fellow colleagues as a source of advice, wisdom, support,
and if we can do nothing else, prayers.

My grandfather spent his life as a construction worker, most often
operating cranes.  He would describe them to me, the different
ones, the man who worked with him as his "oiler," and similar
things.   I frankly had never thought about an archives devoted to
the construction industry until Tom joined the list, and am now
much wiser than I was.

To be honest, I vent through typing and I've always accepted Tom's
rants for what they were, rants and an opportunity for him to safely
blow off steam or ask for help.   I would hope his boss understands
this and continues to encourage his involvement with the list, even
if it means fewer rants and less specific information.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338