Web-based archives and archival cooperation

After over 20 years in a totally unrelated field I have at last returned
to my first love, archives.  At the time I left, a web was something woven
by spiders and spies, and digitizing was something one did with one's
fingers. It's a whole new field, and I need to come up to speed.

I have two specific questions:

1.   I'm at present looking for one or more good introductions--book,
article, or web-based--to creating web-based finding aids and (yes, the
dreaded "d" word) to digitizing records.  While I'm very much interested
in the practical implications (legal, access, staff, etc.), I'm not
interested in the finer points of the latest incarnation of html or java
or to the tech specs of the latest high speed scanner.  Case studies that
show what worked and what didn't would be particularly helpful.  In
short, if you were converting your archive to web-based finding aids and
digitized images, or if you had to do it over again, are there any
particular books, articles, or websites you would find helpful?

2.   I'm also interested in cooperation between institutions with
"complementary" archival holdings, i.e., collections of material on the
same literary or political figure.  I can find a considerable amount of
literature on collaboration between libraries (which leads in turn to
virtual libraries, etc.), but as in my first question I'm interested in
concrete examples of collaboration between institutions with archival
holdings.

I'd be *most* grateful for any pointers on either question!

Michael Palmer
Claremont, California
mpalmer@panix.com