Re: appraisal of videos

I too would be interested to see any examples of appraisal guidelines for videotape collections.  In lieu of providing appraisal guidelines, here are a list of valuable sources I use in conducting appraisals of video materials in the archives.

-Since format is key in determing the age of a tape, Vidipax has a guide to video formats and a resource links page <http://www.vidipax.com>

-1995 report by John Van Bogart, "Magnetic Tape Storage and Handling"
<http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub54/index.html>

-Since most analog videotapes are comprised of magnetic media, the AIC's
"Caring for your home videotape" is also useful.
<http://aic.stanford.edu/treasure/video.html>

-the Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) website and listserv is another resource
<http://www.amianet.org>

-the Independent Media Arts Preservation (IMAP) project also has a website
(http://www.imappreserve.org>

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Ann E. Butler
Archivist

Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
Telephone: 212 360-4241
Telefax: 212 360-4340
abutler@guggenheim.org
archives@guggenheim.org

>>> Deborah Wythe <deborahwythe@HOTMAIL.COM> 11/15 3:24 PM >>>
I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has set down appraisal
guidelines for videotapes. I'm dealing with institutional productions for
which we may have a final production, various edited versions and cuts, and
raw footage. Any given project may have generated from 10 to 20 3/4" tapes
(not to mention dubs). Most of these were produced to be played in the
gallery during an exhibition.

Thanks for your help, as always!

Deborah Wythe
Brooklyn Museum of Art Archives