appraisal

L.S.,
My name is Hans Zwaanswijk and I'm an archivist and work in the city
archives of The Hague (Netherlands) and I'm also a student in archival
sciences in Amsterdam. At the moment we are trying to make an inventory of
the archives of the inactive records of the city council of The Hague. This
means that we have to select (appraise)and determine which records are to be
described and which are not. How is this proces of appraisal taking place in
for instance the United States in a similar archive? Could you give me an
example.
Hans Zwaanswijk
(my apologies for my poor english)