NAGARA on EO 13233

There have been several postings in the past week or so about EO 13233.
Jeanne Young, President of NAGARA (National Association of Government
Archives and Records Administrators) also recently sent a letter expressing
concern to Rep. Stephen Horn.  This letter is as follows:

     November 9, 2001

     Representative Stephen Horn
     Chairman, Subcommittee on Government Efficiency
     2154 Rayburn Office Building
     Washington, DC  20515-0538

     Via facsimile transmission:  202-226-1012

     I am writing to express the profound dismay of the National
     Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators (NAGARA)
     at Executive Order 13233 on Presidential Papers. NAGARA is a
     professional association of archivists and records administrators from
     federal, state, and local government.  The association provides a
     forum for government archives and records professionals to share
     information and work cooperatively to solve problems.  In addition to
     developing and advocating professional standards, it works to foster
     awareness of the value of government archives and records programs and
     to represent that community on important issues. The Presidential
     Records Act, as written in 44 U.S.C. 2201-2207, makes Presidential
     records the property of the United States government and charges the
     Archivist of the United States with the responsibility for providing
     access to these records. Executive Order 13233 wrests control of
     Presidential records from the government and gives it to the sitting
     President. The unfairness of this Executive Order is obvious to all.
     Perhaps less obvious, it is unfair even to former Presidents, without
     discrimination.

     Especially disturbing, Section 10 provides for the designation of a
     representative to act for the former President in instances of
     disability or death.  Failing the appointment of a representative by
     the former President, his family may appoint a representative to act
     for him. At issue here is not personal papers, nor is it campaign
     materials. At issue is a body of federal records that have a legal
     status in court so long as they are in the continuous custody of an
     appropriate official of the federal government.  For the most part, a
     President's family members have not been elected officials of the
     federal government.  There is simply no requirement in Executive Order
     13233 that the representative(s) or the family member(s) be elected
     officials of the federal government, which would be possible, at
     least, for former President George H. W. Bush and former President
     Clinton.

     NAGARA strongly urges the Congress, on behalf of the American people
     and in defense of the free flow of information, ideas, and public
     discourse that has characterized our nation since its foundation, to
     assert its authority over Presidential records. Since September 11,
     2001, our nation has been in a condition of emergency. President Bush
     has characterized our struggle against terrorism as one of good
     against evil. His claim that we, as a nation, embody those values that
     best typify human freedom should not be bounded by a line around the
     Oval Office.

     In closing, I commend to you the members of NAGARA as an invaluable
     resource to the members of Congress, their committees and their staff
     members in matters relating to the administration of public records.
     We are professionally trained, experienced in the practical policies
     and procedures for implementing archival and records management
     programs, and committed to the principles of public service and
     government accountability.  We will be happy to work with you at any
     time to assist in crafting appropriate legislation and guidance to
     identify, preserve, and make available the records of our common
     public heritage.

     Please enter these comments into the official record of the
     Subcommittee.

     Jeanne Young
     President
     NAGARA