State Archives of Georgia: New Hours

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Please forward to all interested groups.)

Beginning January 1, 2002, the State Archives of Georgia will be open to the
public from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. The State
Archives will be closed to the public on Mondays.

Why is the State Archives changing its hours?
On Wednesday, October 31, the State Archives broke ground for a new building
just outside the campus of Clayton College and State University in Morrow.
Construction is expected to take 18 to 20 months. During that time we must
prepare the entire Archives collection for the move to Clayton County. Many
records must be reboxed, shelves and boxes must be cleaned, inventory data
of all the records must be entered and verified, and many details of the
move must be planned and tested in pilot projects. The change in our hours
will allow the staff to work as teams and concentrate more attention on
these activities, particularly on Mondays.

Will the public benefit from the change in hours?
As soon as the hours go into effect the public will see several immediate
benefits: longer Saturday hours, increased access to the original records,
and standardized hours in the Main Research Room and the Original Documents
Reading Area throughout the week.  In addition, we will now pull original
records on Saturdays, so patrons will no longer need to request these
records the day before.

Will the State Archives change its hours again when it moves to the new
building?
After the move, the State Archives intends to add evening hours to the times
it is open to the public. We will continue to devote Mondays to team
projects and staff training that will result in the best customer service
possible.

Where is Morrow?
Morrow is located 15 miles south of downtown Atlanta on Interstate 75 at
Exit 233.  For more information, please visit the official web site of the
city: www.cityofmorrow.com.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Pamela Coleman at 404-651-6474, at
pcoleman@sos.state.ga.us, or visit our web site at www.GeorgiaArchives.org.