Re: archival ink

We are using black Actinic ink from Phillips Process Co, purchased from
Univ. Products Companies. This is the only archival ink and distributor we
have found.

The ink seems to be fine, but the process is
a bit messy.  The ink is in a bottle with a brush in the cap.  The ink pad
is a block of wood about the size of a standard ink pad.  There is one
bottle of ink, 3 wood block pads, and a small "ink spreader" in each kit.
We don't use the spreader.  Brush the ink on the wood pad (using a very
light coating).  Ink can be reapplied many times before one side of the
pad is too clogged to use.  I alternate sides of the pad until both are
clogged.  Three pads last longer than the bottle of ink.  The brush in the
cap reaches only about 2/3rds into the bottle, so eventually you have to
tip it to get the ink.  Scraping the brush against the side of the bottle
neck (to keep too much ink from getting on the pad) can result in drips,
and no matter how careful you are, fingers get stained.  I heartily
recommend wearing an apron and being careful where you move or rest your
hands/arms/sleeves.  When you are stamping, be sure to use the entire
surface of the pad; otherwise some areas (especially edges) will retain
more ink, become clogged sooner, and make impressions uneven.

One advantage is that you can use the ink to clean the rubber stamp.
"Paint" the stamp with ink, rest it with the painted side down on a thick
piece of scratch paper for a few minutes.  Then press the stamp several
times on the paper to remove excess ink and clogged bits.  (One more thing
you don't learn in school  :-)

(We're using this ink to stamp the name of a large collection on each
folder.)

|((|  Ellen Chapman
|))|  Archivist for Congressional Papers
|((|  University of Hawaii at Manoa Library
|))|  2550 McCarthy Mall
|((|  Honolulu HI 96822  USA
|))|