RAIN 11/23 Part 1: Hacker snoop tool, baffled by ruling, BBC tricked

There are 18 stories in this posting.

BBC NEWS 11/21/01
The news about paper
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1666000/1666325.stm

It is one of the paradoxes of the information age that the more we rely on digital devices the more paper we consume.
You might think as we call on more information stored on computer networks, and live our lives with the help of gadgets that merrily swap data, our reliance on paper would fade.
Instead, the exact opposite is happening.

CNET News.com 11/21/01
FBI snoop tool old hat for hackers
http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-7944351-0.html?tag=ats

by Robert Lemos
News.com
A new tool reportedly being developed by law enforcement agencies to remotely install surveillance programs on a suspect's computer is little more than 3-year-old hacking technology, security experts said Wednesday.

The Nation 12/10/01
Freedom is History (and Vice Versa)
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20011210&s=alterman

by Eric Alterman
Now that we know that Al Gore not only beat George Bush by roughly 537,000 votes nationally, but also handily defeated him among legally cast votes in Florida, I suppose we can expect accelerated efforts on the part of the President to try to counter his proven political illegitimacy. This is actually a pretty frightening notion. Well before we received the much-misreported results of the Florida recount, the Administration gave every indication of being so addicted to secrecy that it would happily stretch the bounds of democratic accountability beyond their breaking point.

The Times-Picayune 11/20/01
Records litigants baffled by ruling
http://www.nola.com/archives/t-p/index.ssf?/newsstory/o_records_20.html

by Brian Thevenot
School Board critic Sandra Wheeler-Hester will collect thousands of dollars because the school system didn't provide her with public documents fast enough, Civil District Judge Ethel Simms Julien has ruled.
The judgment awards Wheeler-Hester $100 a day, not including weekends and holidays, for the period between Dec. 6 and Feb. 20.

Sydney Morning Herald 11/21/01
I wiped bad uni marks for $1000
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0111/21/national/national3.html

by Aban Contractor
High Education writer
A former university worker told a corruption inquiry yesterday how he charged foreign students up to $1000 to remove a failed subject from their academic records.
Toto Sujanto told the Independent Commission Against Corruption that he used his computer log-on number at the University of Technology, Sydney, to tamper with student records in exchange for money.

Information Week 11/20/01
Medical-Imaging firm gets another $9M
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20011120S0018

David M. Ewalt
One of the biggest trends in health care during the past year has been the move to make medical records available online, so physicians can easily retrieve patient data anytime and any place.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 11/21/01
FBI develops eavesdropping tools
http://www.jsonline.com/news/nat/ap/nov01/ap-fbi-wiretaps112101.asp

Associated Press
WASHINGTON - The FBI is going to new lengths to eavesdrop, building software to monitor computer use and urging phone companies to help make wiretaps more reliable.
The FBI's ``Magic Lantern'' technology would allow investigators, via the Internet, to secretly install powerful software that records every keystroke on a person's computer, according to people familiar with the effort. The software is similar to ``Trojan horse'' programs already used by some hackers and corporate spies.

The Morning Call 11/21/01
Librarians, others alarmed by order to destroy data
http://www.mcall.com/news/yahoo/all-a1_2destroynov21.story

by Lisa Kozleski
Every year, tons of federal documents get shipped to libraries across the country - including ones at Lehigh University, Muhlenberg College and Bucks County Community College - so the public can use the information its government collects.

The National Business Review 11/21/01
Atomic bomb satire tricks BBC
http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=886&cid=1&cname=Media

by Francis Till
It has become a truism that the web is a tricky place, full of rumour and bad information. Experts caution users to verify anything found there by checking against reliable sources -- whatever those might be. But one shouldn't have to warn about the dangers of taking satire literally.

Orlando Sentinel 11/21/01
Nursing-home reports kept secret
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-lochomes21112101nov21.story?coll=orl-news-headlines

by Mark Hollis
TALLAHASSEE -- State health regulators have collected thousands of secret reports of accidents, injuries and other problems in Florida nursing homes in the past six months, but fewer than 100 have led to on-site investigations.

Sydney Morning Herald 11/21/01
Fruit worker went sour
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0111/21/text/national21.html

by Ellen Connolly
Matthew Smith had a plum job with greengrocer.com.au but began to think he was getting the rough end of the pineapple.
The disgruntled Web site employee deleted the company's vital systems records, causing the business to shut down for five days.

Boston Herald 11/21/01
State police records missing in probe in ticket-fixing, OT
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/fix11212001.htm

by David Wedge
An internal probe into an alleged ticket-fixing and overtime scam at the Norwell State Police barracks turned up ``indications of abuse'' but the investigation was stifled by missing records and shoddy paperwork, according to a report obtained by the Herald.

Austin American-Statesman 11/14/01
Opinion: Closing the book on openness
http://www.austin360.com/aas/editorial/davis/

by Mary Alice Davis
He was shrewd, manipulative, a flirt, cussed like crazy and grew depressed over what protesters called "Lyndon's war."
Because we've had such complete access to his presidential documents and audiotapes, the people of the United States know President Johnson well. Even Lady Bird's diaries were willingly consigned to history. Both the late president and his widow grasped that records of whatever happened while they were in the White House belong to the people. They encouraged archivists to open their papers to the people in timely fashion.

The Age 11/21/01
Internet crime data crackdown
http://www.theage.com.au/news/state/2001/11/21/FFX94ESJ8UC.html

by Ewin Hannan
The Victorian Government could restrict public access to criminal records and impose new restrictions on juries under options being considered to combat the publication of criminal history information on the Internet.

The Register 11/21/01
Playboy.com hacked

by Thomas C. Greene in Washington
On-line porn purveyor Playboy.com has been penetrated by hackers who stole customer records including credit card details, the company says.
Someone claiming to be part of the data heist who calls himself 'martyn luther ping' contacted numerous victims via e-mail with proof that their Playboy accounts had been hacked. The author wisely cautioned against trusting on-line companies with such confidential information.

The Sampson Independent 11/16/01
Public records can now be reviewed in Turkey on Tuesdays
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=2661206&BRD=1117&PAG=461&dept_id=88473&rfi=6

by L.E. Brown, Jr.
The Turkey Board of Commissioners adopted an amendment to one ordinance and reviewed another ordinance during its meeting last night.
With Mayor Dural Ray Wilson and commissioners Amelia King, Tim Clifton and Michael Cottle present and commissioner Mike Smith absent, the board adopted an ordinance amendment that establishes each Thursday, between 1 and 3 p.m., as the time during which the town's public records can be inspected and copies made.

The West Australian 11/22/01
Broker clues - finance papers found in storage
http://www.thewest.com.au/20011122/news/perth/tw-news-perth-home-sto33198.html

by Mike Southwell
LAWYERS acting for finance broking victims have discovered thousands of documents which they believe may blow open the $150 million broking scandal.
The documents and some computer disks, containing details of property and financial deals involving developers Lawrie Ferris and John Manton, brokers and others, were found in a self-storage unit in Naval Base.

Toronto Star 11/21/01
Privacy czar satisfied with C-36 changes
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1006340775464&call_page=TS_Canada&call_pageid=968332188774&call_pagepath=News/Canada&col=968350116467

CP
OTTAWA (CP) - Justice Minister Anne McLellan won praise from the federal privacy commissioner today for amending proposed anti-terrorism legislation to curb federal power to withhold sensitive intelligence from public view.
"These amendments fully and effectively address the concerns I have been expressing over the last four weeks," commissioner George Radwanski wrote in a letter to McLellan.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va