RAIN 11/26: Weekend Update Part 2

There are 5 stories in this posting.

Miami Herald 11/24/01
New library to house Alex Haley papers
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/news/local/broward/digdocs/108114.htm

by Brad Bennett
Jerome Davis shook hands with Pulitzer Prize-winning author Alex Haley at a Broward County library in the early 1980s.
``They had an entire program where he came in and he spoke,'' said Davis, a library assistant. ``He autographed one of the flier invitations I had designed. From my perspective, he was just a regular guy who did something exceptional.''

St. Petersburg Times 11/24/01
Editorial: Guarding History
http://www.sptimes.com/News/112401/Opinion/Guarding_history.shtml

Presidential historians and scholars perform an important public service by piecing together the past so we can better understand history. Their access to the documents and papers of past White House administrations is essential in understanding why presidents made the decisions they did, for good or ill. Now, President Bush has slammed the door on that access.

Sydney Morning Herald 11/24/01
Mark tampering not rife: UTS
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0111/24/text/national17.html

A two-month investigation by up to eight anti-corruption officers failed to find evidence of widespread mark tampering, the University of Technology, Sydney said yesterday.
But the university recognised its administration of student records had been inadequate, allowing a former staff member to delete the failed subjects of 11 full fee-paying overseas students.

Dallas Morning News 11/24/01
San Antonio groups wage landmark fight
http://www.dallasnews.com/texas_southwest/STORY.ea5c9039e5.b0.af.0.a4.3c93c.html

by David McLemore
SAN ANTONIO - When the City Council agreed to changes in the lease of a historic building in the city's old Market Square, it cleared the way for a thoroughly modern museum of Latino culture. It also raised eyebrows.
In San Antonio, the past is always just around the corner. History here is serious business.

Dallas Morning News 11/24/01
Disputed Depot destroyed
Little Rock quickly clears land destined for Clinton library grounds
http://www.dallasnews.com/texas_southwest/STORY.ea5d198c50.b0.af.0.a4.2faa2.html

by Suzi Parker
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Gregory Ferguson, a North Little Rock lawyer, fought to save the 1899 Choctaw Freight Depot from destruction for nearly three months.
He lost that battle Wednesday when the depot, which sat on the future grounds of the Clinton Presidential Library, was destroyed by the city of Little Rock.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va