Re: fees

I have only seen private institutions (historical societies, research
entities, private colleges) charge for access and use of the reading
room.  For example, the local historical society charges a $3.00
fee which covers access for two days.   While staff have told me
that this does raise money for them, other staff have told me what
a headache to register, maintain records, account for the funds,
make change, etc.   Since they have to maintain hours for Society
members, there's some question whether free access would help
boost goodwill, donations, and Society memberships (now at $25
a year or more).    From my viewpoint, as a state-funded tax-supported
University, we have to make our resources available to our owners (the
public).   I get many users who complain about the modest fee charged
by the society because to them it is just another barrier to THEIR history,
e.g. local history, genealogy research, etc.   Others take the strange
attitude that they should get something for their money.   I have a few
folks (just a few, mind you!) that say "I gave them money and they couldn't
find that obituary notice I wanted!!"     It is similar to the lady that I had
on the phone who believed a certain city directory is missing, but I couldn't
convince her that it had never existed (Pensacola had city directories in
the 1940s and 1950s that were done by Polk every 2 years...hence some
years don't exist, period).

There's another aspect to fee charging for an archives.  The development
of our collections is highly dependent on gifts.   The rise of eBay and
publicity over finds (Antiques Roadshow, etc.) have raised public
consciousness considerably about the monetary value of objects
and papers and books.   I have also heard users complain that why
should they give the family papers to an institution that is going to
"make money" from their use.   I usually gently try to explain the
costs of a private institution just in maintaining research collections
(electricity, copier contracts, etc.) and most understand this.  But
it still "nags" them that someone somewhere is going to make
money from granddad's diary.   And what about the poor third
grader who doesn't have money?  (etc.)

And finally there is also the public consciousness that Americans
have a right to information (free).   Our libraries and civil libertarians
have done an outstanding job (and rightly so) of creating the right
of Americans to free libraries and to information.  That, I believe,
crosses over to unpublished papers and manuscripts.  The public
believes in the right of access to their history and to information
regardless of how and where it is kept.     And I think fees uncon-
sciously rub researchers the wrong way because it contradicts
this ideal.

I do believe, however, fees can be effective provided that you have
a well-known, well-announced donation policy, an opportunity for
users to make donations, and perhaps follow-up letters thanking
distant researchers for visiting your collections and enclosing an
envelope should they wish to support your work.   I believe another
effective means might be identifying a fee type .... something along
the lines that use of our facility is provided at no charge, however
we would hope that you might contribute to our Preservation Fund
which helps preserve and support our collections.

Thanks for the opportunity to share what I hear from users.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338