Thought provoking Article in Today's NY Times

Gang:
First, I want to thank Peter K. publicly for the great service he does
with RAIN.

Second, I want to point out an article in today's NY Times that I doubt
Peter will identify as pertinent to put in RAIN, but I think MIGHT have
future implications in Houston and elsewhere concerning Disaster
Planning and Response.  The below article, concerns the possibility that
diesel fuel for back-up generators for the Mayor's Disaster Response
Bunker stored in World Trade Center 7 may have been a partial cause for
that building's collapse, after it was ignited and burned.

Engineers and scientists are trying to determine what role diesel fuel,
ignited into an uncontrollable fire, had in
the collapse of 7 World Trade Center.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/29/nyregion/29TOWE.html?todaysheadlines>

During Tropical Storm Allison down here in June, the Texas Medical
Center and others took alot of criticism for having their back-up
generators, or parts of their systems, in flooded garages and
basements.  [See this article from Peter's RAIN today for background
info to our problems down here in June.  Houston Chronicle 11/26/01 UH
law library to get $21 million for flood damage
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/storm2001/1146820>]

Knowing that the reaction to this will be to move the generators and
associated systems somewhere else, could this lead to worse problems?

Heck if I know, I'm just a humanities major.  Do anyone care to comment?

Mark

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law Library
Houston, TX