Friday amusement #1

Some of you may know that one of my special collections is a large
menu collection, with probably about 30,000 menus in it. About two
months ago, one of the major donors (whose collection was over 3000
menus) contacted us and asked if he could borrow two of his menus
back. While we don't normally loan menus, this man is an icon in the
food community, and we were happy to make an exception in his case.
He's a courtly Hungarian-born gentleman in his 70s, and I received a
gracious letter from him, and I in turn suggested that if he was ever
on campus, I would be very happy to show him his collection in the
archival boxes and folders that we recently put it in as the result of
receiving a conservation/preservation grant

Soon afterwards, I saw that he was scheduled to be our graducation
speaker today, and so contacted the person who schedules the doings of
VIPs when they visit, and told her that I'd like to show him his
menus. As a result, he came yesterday and saw them. I had pulled one
of the archival boxes so he could see the folders inside. When he had
admired them, he decided to autograph it for me, and pulled out a
felt-tipped pen and signed his name and the date with some lovely
flourishes!

I guess I'll have to put those menus into another folder, and store
that folder somewhere nice and safe!

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America