Re: photostat preservation/care and handling

Unless there is some intrinsic value to the photostat, the best solution might be to photocopy it to save the information.

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist

Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> "Lynn E. Pritcher" <lynn.pritcher@DUKE.EDU> 11/30/01 03:39PM >>>
Hello all -

We have a number of Photostats, dating from mid 20th century.  They
are beginning to curl at the edges, brown spots are beginning to
appear on the image side, and discoloration already is covering most
of the backs of the Photostats.

I was wondering if:

1) anyone has experience in dealing with Photostats and would offer
advice on how to deal with this;

or

2) anyone can point me to a resource (book, online or human) who could
assist in trying to keep the Photostats we have stay around as long as
possible.

Thank you, and have a nice weekend!!

Lynn

Lynn Eaton Pritcher
Technical Services Archivist,
John W. Hartman Center for Sales, Advertising & Marketing History
212 Perkins Library
PO Box 90185
Duke University
Durham, NC  27708-0185