From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of Frances Odonnell
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 8:42 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: scanning photographs

Colleagues,

Recently our archives office bought a scanner. We are now scanning
photographs for patrons, and sometimes sending them to them in an e-mail
message. We usually do this with photographs that were taken in the 1800s,
so copyright is not usually a risk. These photos are not usually used for
commercial gain - they are usually photos of ministers which patrons use for
their parish histories. Are other people doing anything like this? I am
wondering what to charge for this service. When we sent photographs to a
separate department here to have a negative and print made, the charges were
clear, it usually came to about $40.00. Sending an image I scanned to
someone in an e-mail message is different. It takes time to do it, so I
think I should charge the patron something for it. But it is hard to say how
much.

Any thoughts??