Copyright (newspaper) question

Unless I misread the question -- which I admit is certainly possible -- it
would seem to me that this copyright question is a non-issue.  An author
would not need permission to quote from a published newspaper article found
in the papers of a newspaper journalist.  Of course the author needs to
provide the proper citation for the published article, but he or she would
not need permission from the newspaper to quote material already published.

If the author wishes to quote from unpublished material (drafts, notes,
etc.) in the papers of the journalist, then that is a different question
altogether.

Tim L. Pennycuff, University Archivist
and Assistant Director, UAB Historical Collections
University of Alabama at Birmingham
voice:  (205) 934-1896 and (205) 934-9671
email:  archives@uab.edu
http://www.uab.edu/historical