Re: database inquiry

Julie,
We use PastPerfect. I just updated from 2.5 to 3.0. I screwed up while
updating (long story involving new computers, networks, installing and
being plain stupid) and the technical service people were highly helpful
(we have an annual contract which you cannot be without with this
software). The program is working great now - networked on 5 computers.

In fact, the technical service people have always been very helpful every
time I have contacted them (about 4 times in the past year). That is one of
the best things about the program.

PastPerfect works well for a small collection. Also if you need to keep
track of membership. We are a county historical society so it made more
sense to get a database where we could do membership and collections then
go with two separate databases. Although we also use MS Access because I
like the greater flexibility I can get with that database.

The new version of PastPerfect has lots of room for information on
conservation activity, location, loans, etc. It is more designed for
museums than archives, for example the Revised Nomenclature is the
authority control. No other authority control, which from a bibliographic
stand point is a drawback (hey, I am a library cataloger by training).

There is a demo available which might help with the decision. If you
haven't visited there already the website is
<<http://www.museumsoftware.com>>

And it is a bit of a buggy program but there are frequent updates and they
are responsive to needs. It is relatively inexpensive (especially if you
are an AASLH member). An annual technical support contract is an absolute
necessity.

All in all it has been the right program for us but it has its limitations
and I would not recommend it to everyone.

If you want more details, I can respond to more specfic questions.

Hope this helps,

Deirdre Routt
Librarian/Archivist
Douglas County Historical Society