Denial of Service. Reference Desks. BPL

Em Claire Knowles  emclaire.knowles@simmons.edu
Massachusett Board of Library Commissioners
http://mlin.lib.ma.us/mblc/admin/board/board_index.shtml

How kind it is to get a reply Em Claire Knowles! And quickly!

As I outlined to Berthe' M. Gaines, our Regional and Massachusetts
 Library of Last Recourse Statewide Reference and Referral Center
 Boston Public Library delays or denies access to legitimately public
 information by escalating reference desk enquiries and forwarding
 them to City Hall contrary to practices described by RUSA Readers and
 User Services Association
http://www.ala.org/rusa/stnd_behavior.html

 It's an infringement on intellectual freedom principles that the
 state library agency could address with regard to reference desks
 at Massachusetts cities' public libraries.

Please consider the question of whether Massachusetts cities'
 public libraries should provide legitimately public internal
 information at reference desks where the documentation is
 at hand for consultation by the reference desk itself.

 There are people needing this background information in order to use
 BPL more effectively by understanding how it all works behind the
 scenes, so to speak, back stage!

Cheers! and kind regards,
 oo__  don Warner saklad

       Guide to Problematical Library Use