Re: Who owns our catalog records?

Why not talk to some of the libraries that are included in the original GLMC CD-ROM set and find out their thought process about this utilization of their records?  At the vendor areas of various genealogy conference, I have talked to the person who produces this product, and I do know that he gets permission from the libraries involved to use their records rather than just taking them without permission, so I don't think he has a conscience problem.

It might also be interesting to talk to some of the major genealogical libraries that *aren't* included in the original CD, to see if he approached them and if they decided not to cooperate, and if so, why?

I know that ownership of catalog records is a tricky question. Several years ago, OCLC announced that they were copyrighting their database, and there was quite an outcry from the people who contribute cataloging.