RAIN 12/16: Weekend Report Part 2

There are 12 stories in this posting.

New York Times 12/05/01
Papers Illuminate Pearl Harbor attack
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/international/AP-Japan-Pearl-Harbor.html?searchpv=aponline

AP
KOBE, Japan (AP) -- Japan may have attacked Pearl Harbor because decoded U.S. cables did not prepare its leaders for American demands that the imperial army withdraw from China and Southeast Asia, a Japanese scholar said Wednesday.
Previously classified Foreign Ministry documents reveal a turning point that may have persuaded doves in the Japanese government that war with the United States was necessary, Kobe University law professor Toshihiro Minohara said.

The Press-Enterprise 12/05/01
Paper wins access to some salary records
http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/10017261_PE_NEWS_nhealth05.html

by Mike Kataoka
RIVERSIDE - A court hearing tied to the private management of a Hemet-based public hospital district ended Tuesday without a clear-cut winner.
The Press-Enterprise last year sued the Valley Health System hospital district and its private management entity, Valley Health Care Management Services, to obtain personnel and salary information that had been withheld as confidential.

Richmond Times Dispatch 12/06/01
Students download pornography
http://www.timesdispatch.com/frontpage/MGBG56EYVUC.html

by Chris Dovi
Some Henrico County students are using county-provided laptop computers to download hard-core pornography that they share with their classmates.
School staff members say they have confiscated and deleted graphic sexual content from student iBooks, which were issued to all Henrico high school students this year.

The Moscow Times 12/05/01
Texan puts Soviet History online
http://www.moscowtimes.ru/stories/2001/12/05/048.html

by Angela K. Brown
AP
FORT WORTH, Texas -- Cameras were rolling and clicking when the world's first space traveler returned home, when Soviet leaders discussed anti-capitalism propaganda campaigns and when troops invaded Afghanistan.
But the 38,000 films and more than 1 million pictures chronicling significant events of the former Soviet Union have been guarded in vaults, accessible only by government-approved documentary filmmakers and few others.

Dallas Morning News 12/03/01
A suitcase full of memories
http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/columnists/jamesragland/STORY.ea8af73069.b0.af.0.a4.818d8.html

by James Ragland
Some of those familiar with what I'm about to tell you are calling it The Mystery of the Old Suit Case.
It's the tale of an antiquated piece of luggage - separated from its owner during World War II - that survived in the attic of an Austrian home for more than five decades.

Dallas Morning News 12/06/01
1930s medical license among suitcase's treasures
http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/columnists/jamesragland/STORY.ea9a6a4414.b0.af.0.a4.866fd.html

by James Ragland
Where were we? Oh, yes. I was telling you about the old man and his suitcase.
I should say wise old man, because Dr. Witold Winiarz is an encyclopedia of knowledge. He's 96, speaks four languages and, when you get him going, can talk your ears off about historical events.
He sort of makes you want to just sit at his knee and listen.

Dallas Morning News 12/05/01
Old Red, home to history
http://www.dallasnews.com/metro/stories/STORY.ea95cd3e22.b0.af.0.a4.8dda7.html

by Ed Housewright
The Old Red Courthouse, largely dormant for a decade, will get new life in 2003 as home for a museum of Dallas County history, organizers said Tuesday.
A total of $37.8 million in public and private money is expected to be spent on the museum, improvements to the adjoining plaza, and underground parking.

Dallas Morning News 12/05/01
Editorial: Dallas History
http://www.dallasnews.com/editorial/STORY.ea949f1b2d.b0.af.0.a4.7ce22.html

You may know who John Neely Bryan was, but what was the name of his wife - the one who really lived in the cabin with their five kids most of the time?
What was the Dallas baseball team that played in the first year of the Texas League in 1888 and even made booster trips to play in cities like Cincinnati and Louisville to promote the state fair?

Dallas Morning News 12/06/01
Clinton touts openness during dedication of presidential library
http://www.dallasnews.com/texas_southwest/STORY.ea9a5c88aa.b0.af.0.a4.385b3.html

by Suzi Parker
Special Contributor
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - On a muggy, overcast day, nearly a thousand people turned out on the banks of the Arkansas River for the groundbreaking Wednesday of the William Jefferson Clinton Presidential Library.
Former President Bill Clinton, wearing a black suit and bright blue tie, told the crowd at the invitation-only event that his $200 million library and museum will "give Americans access to history."

Computerworld 11/26/01
Wall St. blocks IM traffic flow
http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO66059,00.html

by Lucas Mearian
Instant messaging has become a popular means for financial advisers to communicate with clients. But now regulations governing electronic communications are prompting some financial services firms to shut down IM traffic until it can be tracked and stored like regular e-mail.

CentralMaine Inc 12/05/01
Web site makes state's history more accessible
http://www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/011205historyo.shtml

by Ted Cohen
Blethen Maine Newspapers
When Civil War soldier Meshach P. Larry wrote to his sister in Windham, he candidly discussed the execution of a deserter and his opinions of the Union Army's leadership.
"We are, in my opinion, two months behind the time, but you know that I am not the general of this show, or things would go right," he wrote on Nov. 7, 1862. "There is more than one fool who thinks the same thing. I think the generals are doing the right thing, only not quick enough."

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va