Re: Archive recruiters/Job hunting

My opinion is that as long as you keep yourself educated and in the constant learning mode you should have no worries about protecting the profession.  Instead we should promote it to help others gain an understanding of the importance of our work to gain the respect we deserve.  In our society today employers are hiring those who have the ability to diversify tasks and work with many situations....this is a trend I do not foresee changing anytime soon.

Shirley Derrick, MLIS
Assistant Records and Information Manager
Briggs & Strattton Corporation
Milwaukee, WI

>>> "STEVEN P. FISHER" <sfisher@DU.EDU> 12/18/01 11:00AM >>>
Mark,

I just had to jump in. How does it follow that if "anyone" can
currently get into the profession that certification is the answer? That
is quite a leap. How about starting by looking at past experience and
archival course work? Recruiters ( and I use the term loosely ) "don't have
a standard" because they have not even investigated what archival programs
and training are out there. I would submit that this is because they do
not take archival work seriously enough to even consider what training
might be needed. It is not even really an issue of certification vs
formal archival education. Most "recruiters" probably are not aware of
either.

Steve F.