Re: Certification/qualifications again? If you don'tcare delete n ow

Craig:
As a CRM I may have a different view of the value of certification and specifically the CRM, I also have an MLS. When considering the issue of certification it helps to view it from the point of view of those who have to hire a records manager or archivist. Those who hire librarians will state a requirement for an ALA  Accredited degree as a minimum requirement. They know that someone who posseses that degree should have a minimum knowledge base and skill set.

I view the concept of certification in much the same way. The possesor of that certification has passed a test or series of tests and therefore possesses a minimum amount of experience and knowledge. As a records manager I would certainly be view a CRM as a more desirable candidate but would use it as a starting point and would also consider other strong candidates.

The CRM is considered the highest designation or terminal designation for records managers. I received my CRM in 1983, and the number of CRMs has remained fairly steady over the years at about 600-800 designees. In all honesty I obtained my CRM to separate me from all those calling themselves records managers. While many of my employers did not look specifically for a CRM it did set me apart and in the interviews the fact that I could point to certification was a positive.

There has always been a great deal of debate and disgust about the debate on the records management listserv. Some view it as an elitest group, stuckup stickybeaks, etc. In an ideal world certification would be used to idenitfy the level of knowledge and experience a person has in that profession. The level of certification rises with experience and increased knowledge and skills. Employers would be made aware of this and could then match the type of certification an employee would need to perform that  organization's requirements.  Much as in the medical world. One obtains an MD and then adds specializations.

There is always concern that certification will leave qualified people behind because they either don't want to have to take a test at that stage of their career, hate tests or don't meet some of the minimum qualifications. The ICRM allowed individuals to be "grandfathered" during the first few years of the certifications existence.

To make a long story short for me certification is a good thing for a profession. It identifies an indivduals skill, knowledge and education level. It makes it easier for an employer to identify qualified candidates. In order to maintain my CRM I have to accumulate 20 hours of educational experiences a year. I can't just stand on a series of tests I took almost 20 years ago. I have to stay current.

Bob Nawrocki CRM
Robert F. Nawrocki CRM
Electronic Records Coordinator
Records Management and Imaging Services Division
The Library of Virginia
804.692.3505
rnawrocki@lva.lib.va.us
Innovate and Infuriate