question about roman numerals -- THANKS!

Thanks for all the great info on roman numerals.  This list is great.  Well,
it seems that the publication date for the book, Pharmacopoeia Augustana
Renovata et appendice denuo aucta, is indeed 1694.  One of the primary
reasons I was having so much trouble is because the first big C which I
thought was part of the date was not part of the date.

The text looks like this:
A. C. cIc Icc XCIV

I knew that the A probably stood for Anno (Year), but I didn't know that C
was for Christ.  The weird backwards c and I combination was simply an
alternative way to represent large numbers.

Someone on the list recommended this website which explains it:
http://www.deadline.demon.co.uk/roman/intro.htm

Thanks again to all those who answered my call for help. :)

Barbara M. Pope, MLS
Reference Librarian
St. Louis College of Pharmacy
4588 Parkview Place